Sunday, November 23, 2008

~Yes..I'm WeaRiNg HiJab..so?~

Why do people tend to think that if you are wearing hijab, you cant speak English well or you dont have enough money to buy something? Hello? Sadly, some of the muslim also have that silly mindset. Rather than supporting women who are trying to uphold the Islamic teachings, some people attune to discriminate those who wear hijab as the former. Those women are condemned, labelled and being denied to even have a chance to prove themselves to the public. Today, I have a full blast of this prejudice. I walked into a shop with the intention of purchasing a present for my elder sister. Being hip and funky as she is, I decided to buy something that would suit her character, a ******* handbag (i really can't write what the brand is, or else you might know which shop i went to). I scouted around to the shop and finally spot a very trendy, funky handbag that I bet my sister would love it. However, as I were about to call the sale assistant there, I accidentally heard them 'gossiping' about me in English (as if i cant understand them la kan). Among other things that they said are I just walk around and wont buy anything cause I dont have money and 'nevermind, she cant understand us cause she's wearing tudung' (really? then, should I write this entry in Arabic instead?) . They were even show their prowess in English by using word as 'purchase' instead of 'buy' when gossiping about me. *smirking*. I was in rage at first and almost walked out from the shop when suddenly I a nasty and an obviously- not-so - good idea crept in. If I were to walk out from the shop just like that, I might be a fitnah for my religion. I had such I cant just let them confirm that their theory that 'hijab women are penniless and cant speak English well' is correct. Period! So, I looked at them and said 'you girls sure have fun mocking me around, hey, why dont one of you attend that lady (pointed to a lady) I bet, she loves it'. I took a few steps and turned back 'By the way, such attitude of yours is very imprudent. I'll make sure that your manager learns about it by tomorrow!' I gave them my sweetest smile and walked out from the shop. There, if you could see the girls, I'm sure you'll be laughing to see her gawking face. Ok, i know, tak baik ketawakan orang.

Looking back at the incidents, I couldnt help but to highlight some essential points (DO correct me if I were wrong). First and foremost, we, muslim women should not be ashamed and scared to wear hijab or to cover our 'aurat' properly. Be proud of yourselves! We have a bigger responsibility to perform our best as to shrug off all the negative connotations that are usually associated with the hijab women. What I dont appreciate though is how differently others treat you once you are in hijab. Many assume I dont speak English. Some shops hardly see me as a customer. Many workforce assumed that women in hijab is not credible for certain posts especially that largely concern with public relationship matters. *sigh* Since when does one's decision to wear hijab is a benchmark of her performance? Yes, we choose to wear hijab. We know that we are uniquely different, but not weirdly different for sure. So to all the muslimah out there, do not succumb to the pressure of others for HIS rewards is already there for us, inshallah.

Next, as much as we dont want others to discriminate us for wearing hijab, we ourselves should refrain any intention or action of doing the same to those who arent wearing hijab. I have few friends who arent wearing hijab. They often complaining that they receive the similar treatment ( i mean the discriminations) from others. They were perceived as care-free people who do not know how to perform their prayers, let alone reciting the Holy Quran. So I think it is a good time for us to stop and reflect over our actions and experience.

Before I stop, I love to make myself clear to some people who tend to have such discrimination over women in hijab. If you think that it is uncool to wear hijab, think again. It is way more uncool to being burn in the hell for not wearing hijab. Pen-off.

p/s: Farah if you are reading this (well I hope you are), please be informed that I didnt buy you the handbag. I'll try to get something else for you ya, inshallah. (ni alasan sbb tak beli hadiah ni..muahahaha)

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com